Monsoon showers do come as a relief. But however, they also bring with them health irritants like allergies, viral infections and indigestion. The fluctuation in the weather leads to high humidity levels that causes the gut and digestive system to become weak and sluggish and thereby leads to health risks such as food poisoning, indigestion, flatulence, diarrhea, dysentery and cholera.
Keep up good health and prevent infections by adding immunity boosters to your diet:
- Smooth it up: Having smoothies made with seasonal fruits can help restoring immunity. They contain large amounts of vitamins which are useful to fight diseases and keep the body healthy. E.g. papaya ground with basil leaves, stewed apples with cinnamon powder, cherry with peppermint smoothie
- Health tip: Fruits tend to accumulate a lot of dirt, so ensure to wash them with water before use.
- Spice it up: Spices and herbs help in preventing infections. The leaves of tulsi have an antidote for fevers during the monsoons. Include Garlic, pepper, ginger, asafoetida (hing), jeera powder, turmeric, coriander seeds to improve immunity and promote fat burning.
- Health tip: Drinking milk with a pinch of turmeric powder will help you prevent throat infection, cough, cold and fever.
- Slurp it up: During monsoons one ends up drinking extra cups of tea/coffee. Replace the extra coffee, tea with herbal teas that contain basil leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, fennel seeds and ginger. This helps to fight infections such as cold, flu and headache. White tea, green coffee, lemongrass teas are loaded with antioxidants and are great stress relievers
- Health Tip: Avoid tea and coffee, as it promotes fluid loss, increases acidity and tends to get you dehydrated.
- Soup it up: Soups are monsoon friendly. They help fight diseases like cold, flu and also help to rejuvenate your body. They also help to improve the digestive system and provide energy.
- Health tip: Avoid too much of salt, sauces, cornstarch as it leads to water retention and high blood pressure. Avoid packaged soups and opt for home-made soups.
About Harpreet Pasricha: Celebrity Nutritionist and Director of Diet Dr Clinic, has been actively involved in the wellness space for over 16 years. Along with helping people to lose weight, she is also involved in, planning diets for people suffering from lifestyle disorders & medical problems. With a post graduation in food and nutrition, a certification from International Sports Sciences Association, USA, and a certified practitioner of Nutrigenomics, Harpreet’s achievements in the field of nutrition are many. Her fame as a credible lifestyle guru has established her amongst one of the leading nutrition experts in the country and recently she was awarded the prestigious International Quality Awards by former Miss Universe Sushmita Sen in Goa. She is also a co- author of Nourish with Food and Flourish with Health, one of India’s fastest selling lifestyle books.
Head office: +918411935933 l Margao: +917057063984 l Panjim: +918411996042 l Vasco: +917709003239 l Mapusa: +918806828288 l Ludhiana: +919646352489 l Hyderabad: +919603005455